Monday, May 28, 2012

Jim McDonnell Lake Swim

So first the basics

Who: Reston Masters
What: The 25th annual Jim McDonnell Lake Swims
When: Memorial Day Weekend (May 26-27 2012)
Where: Lake Audubon
Why: Why not?

Lake Audubon is a pretty fantastic venue for an open water swim. The lake drops off sharply. The only time I ever got a look at the bottom was at the start/finish line.  Of course, I couldn't see the ropes below any of the turn buoys either, so water clarity was very limited. The only thing I could see below me while swimming was a fairly uniform shade of green.
The course consists of a rough perimeter of the lake. From the starting point the course (and the lake) doglegs to the right, then the course returns to the main body of the lake to follow the shore not quite to the far end and then back to the start, which is also the finish.
This year (2012 for anyone who just arrived) The event consisted of a 5K race on Saturday, followed by an open water clinic that included a 1 mile practice swim. On Sunday there was a 2 mile race followed by a 1 mile  race. Naturally since this was to be my first open water event I signed up for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment