Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bears Have Right-of-way

Sometime back in the second week of June I strained something in my foot. It wasn't too bad but it meant no running for a few weeks. Out of town for the first week of june plus out of town for July 4th and I hadn't run my usual loop since May.  So I was curious to see how my time would compare today.
Well everything was feeling great and I was thinking how enjoy getting out to run. Until about a third of mile from home when up ahead about a hundred yards or so there was what I thought, at first, was a very large black dog.
In fairness I often encounter dogs on my run, some of them large, most of them friendly, and a few of them actually out on the road instead of on their front lawns where they should be.
It was out in the road and two oncoming cars had slowed down to let it cross. It looked this way and that and lumbered out of the road and I didn't think it was a dog anymore.
I actually flagged down one of the cars to confirm what I saw. They definitely got a better look than I did. A baby (or more accurately juvenile) bear.
So I waited. I turned around and went a little way back where a had come from and then turned around again and jogged up to where I had first seen the bear. I could still see something moving right at the side of the road. So I went back and forth again.
That bear was well on its way by the time I finally continued on and finished my run. But there is no question it had the right-of-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment